Not as much progress this week as I would have liked, but I did finish a class to handle the letter tiles. This led me to thinking through just how I would handle the game state at runtime and the data structures involved. It seems like a little thing, but later on, it will have a much larger effect. The wrong data structures can cripple me for weeks. The right one makes things go quite smoothly. So, some serious closed-eye thinking was employed in something the user will never see.
I do hope the benefit pays off in performance and stability, however. Now, without further ado: letter tiles!
By the way, don’t be frightened by the letter distribution. I haven’t started using our carefully balanced letter maps, yet. It would have to be some very evil difficulty to give you two Xs, two Zs, and four Qs.
Getting two Zs is fun. You can make words like buzz, buzzard, and buzzing. 🙂
My personal best is whizzing, but I’ve also used fuzzy, snazzy, and guzzle. I think the four Qs are especially unpleasant in this screen shot, though.